Skip to Content

Correspondence Application

Currently Active Texas State Students

Currently active Texas State students with no account holds may register for correspondence self-paced courses at any time through Texas State Self-ServiceFull payment is due during the registration process. To be in active status, students must be enrolled in Texas State courses in the current semester. Please note, when registering for your self-paced correspondence course, select tomorrow's date as your "start date."

Enrollment Form for Inactive and Non-Texas State Students

Currently inactive Texas State students and non-Texas State students may enroll in correspondence self-paced courses after filling out the application form below. The Office of Distance and Extended Learning will process complete enrollment forms within five business days and send an enrollment verification email with registration instructions. Texas State students not enrolled, or not eligible to enroll, in Texas State courses for the current or subsequent semester, excluding the summer, may be considered inactive. Students may check their registration status by logging into CatsWeb.

Attention Non-Texas Residents: Due to U.S. Department of Education regulations, Texas State University is limited in the enrollments we are able to accept from students residing in states outside of Texas. A list of states we are currently able to accept enrollments from can be found on the Distance and Extended Learning website. If you live in a state, U.S. district, or U.S. territory that is not listed on the Distance and Extended Learning website and would like further information, please contact the Texas State Office of Distance and Extended Learning

Residency Status

If you have a Texas State ID, your residency status has been established. For new students, residency status, as determined by the university, will automatically defer to “Non-Resident." This does not affect the fees charged for your correspondence course. If an applicant or student is classified as a non-resident and wishes to be considered for reclassification as a resident, you should complete the residency paperwork through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Previous or Current Affiliation with Texas State University

If you are a former or current Texas State University student, or have previously applied for a Texas State course or program, or have worked for Texas State University or the Texas State University System, then the Office of Distance and Extended Learning must associate this application for correspondence study with your previous Texas State ID.

Are you taking a course while living overseas? *

Email Address

Please note that when your application is approved, you will be issued a Texas State University student email account. The Texas State University email is the official channel of communication between you and the Office of Distance & Extended Learning. It is your responsibility to periodically monitor your student email account and be aware of the information sent by our office. Additional information will be provided to you once your application has been approved.

Date of Birth
Classification (choose one) *


NOTE: Correspondence courses may close without notice and the Office of Distance and Extended Learning cannot guarantee that a correspondence course for which you apply will be available for registration.


If your course requires a prerequisite and you are not currently a student at Texas State or have no transcripts on file with the university, you will be required to submit an official transcript. Official transcripts from universities other than Texas State should be mailed to the Office of Distance & Extended Learning, 601 University Drive, San Marcos, TX 78666. Texas State academic departments will determine if the course satisfies the prerequisite requirement. Official transcripts from Texas State University are not required.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

FERPA protects the privacy of the student education records and guarantees students' access to their own records. In order for the Office of Distance and Extended Learning to release or discuss a student's academic record with a specified third party a Grant Access Student's Record Form must be on file with the University. Go to to print the form. Complete the form and upload.


If you have a hold on your account it will prevent you from being able to register.

To check for any holds, log into Student Self-Service and click on the "Registration status" link.


We recommend you contact your advising center to ensure courses statisfy your educational goals.


Suspension from any college or university may prevent you from being able to register.

Are you presently on suspension from any college / university? *

Texas Success Initiative (TSIP)

Important:  All Texas residents taking courses for credit must be compliant with Texas Success Initiative requirements.  If you are not a Texas State student, but are a Texas resident, you are required to submit evidence of Texas Success Initiative compliance along with this application (see below).  Compliance can be verified with an unofficial transcript showing a conferred degree or college credit prior to Fall 1989, or qualifying SAT/ACT, TAKS, THEA or approved alternative test scores.  Students from private institutions need a copy of their latest semester transcript or grade report, or a letter of good standing from their university.  If you are unsure about these guidelines, please contact the university's Texas Success Initiative Program at 512.245.3942.

Are you exempt from taking the required assessment? *
Have you taken the required assessment? *

Tuition Assistance: Waivers, Exemptions and Third-Party Billing

Any Tuition Assistance applied to your University account will NOT be automatically applied to your Correspondence course tuition.

If you will not be paying for your correspondence course at the time of registration because of third-party billing, or if you will be using your Texas Tomorrow Fund, please attach the appropriate documentation to this application. For additional information on the University's policy on tuition waivers and exemptions, see Tuition Waivers and Exemptions on the Student Business Services website.  If you have any questions please contact the Office of Distance & Extended Learning.

Check box if you cannot attach your Tuition Assistance documentation to your application (if applicable).

Please complete the following survey.

We collect the following data for State and Federal Reporting requirements.

What is your ethnic background? *
Sex *
Have you previously enrolled in a correspondence course? *
If yes, did you complete the course?
Other than where you currently attend, have you ever attended another university, college, or community college? *
What is your current level of education? *
Which of the following best describes your current employment / enrollment status? *
What is your primary reason for taking this course? *
Why are you enrolling in this correspondence course? (Select all that apply.) *
Which source(s) of funds or income do you anticipate using to help you cover the cost of this course? (Select all that apply.) *

Note: Any tuition assistance applied to your university account will NOT automatically be applied to your correspondence course tuition. You must complete the section above entitled, "Tuition Assistance: Waivers, Exemptions and Third-Party Billing" to take advantage of those payment options.

How did you hear about the Texas State Correspondence Study Program? *
What grade do you expect to earn in this course?
In what amount of time do you expect to complete this course?
Do you have a computer or regular access to a computer?
Do you have e-mail or Internet access?

Correspondence Study Policies

The Correspondence Course Information page is a comprehensive reference for Texas State correspondence study students. It covers all correspondence policies and services from enrolling in a course to obtaining transcripts with your final grade. Before beginning your course, be sure to read the page for important information on completing your course.

Academic Honesty *
Adherance to Policies and Procedures *

Disability Accommodations

If you have a disability and require special accommodations taking the course/s and/or exam/s, please contact the Office of Disability Services, Suite 5.51 LBJ Student Center, 512.245.3451 (voice/TTY).