Skip to Content

Financial Assistance

Submitting Tuition Assistance Documentation

If you want to use tuition assistance, please complete the Correspondence Tuition Assistance Request Form.

Federal Financial Aid

All U.S. federal financial aid programs require that students be enrolled in programs leading to a degree or some other educational credential to be eligible for financial aid. Students enrolled solely in correspondence self-paced study courses are not eligible. Correspondence self-paced courses are not considered part of your course load for the purpose of determining eligibility for and amount of federal financial aid for Texas State students. However, Texas State students who think they qualify for aid should contact the Texas State Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships at 512.245.2315. Non-Texas State students should contact the financial aid office at their university. 


Financial aid opportunities exist for active military personnel enrolled in correspondence courses. Texas State is one of the regionally accredited institutions offering collegiate-level correspondence courses through the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) program. Several categories of military assistance are available under DANTES. Each branch of the service maintains its own payment policy. Students who want to learn more about the military’s financial assistance should contact an education officer or the nearest education center. Course and registration listings are available in the DANTES Independent Study Catalog.

Employee Assistance

Many companies or agencies offer employee assistance for college courses. Employees should contact the appropriate Human Resources Department for information. Employees who work for a company or agency that has agreed to pay for enrollment in a correspondence course should present a letter, purchase order, or voucher from this employer stating that the company will cover the cost of enrollment. The Office of Distance and Extended Learning will invoice the company after the student enrolls.

Texas Guaranteed Tuition Plan (Texas Tomorrow Fund)

If you are the beneficiary of a Texas Guaranteed Tuition Plan contract, you may use these funds toward correspondence study. Be sure to submit a copy of your Texas Guaranteed Tuition Plan ID card with your enrollment application, and the Office of Distance and Extended Learning will invoice the agency after you enroll.

Tuition Assistance: Waivers and Exemptions no Longer Available

Please note that waivers and exemptions are no longer available for correspondence courses.

Notice: Hazlewood Exemption for Correspondence no Longer Available

Effective September 1, 2015, the 50% tuition exemption for Hazlewood is no longer available for correspondence courses.

Information and Assistance

For additional information or assistance, please contact the Office of Distance and Extended Learning at, 800-511-8656 or 512-245-2322.